The First Unitarian Universalist Church of Essex County
Founded in Orange in 1890 as the First Unitarian Church of Essex County, the congregation has worshipped in the present Sanctuary since its construction in 1893. The Church continues the ministry of the Union Universalist Society, which was founded as the First Universalist Society of Newark in 1834.
Our Church today is home to a relatively small but diverse membership.
Our congregation, like all Unitarian Universalist congregations, is self-governing. We elect officers and trustees annually. Membership is open to any person who is in sympathy with the purpose of the Church, which is the study and practice of religion in freedom and fellowship. Visitors are always welcome, and may sign up to receive the Church newsletter without becoming members. The expenses of the Church are financed in large part by voluntary pledges from members and friends